Thursday, July 14, 2005

Random thoughts on a hot day...

Still no news on the writing front; I'm noodling away at a few things everyday, just to keep my brain churning. And now, the news...

I'm taking a Pilates class this summer. If you're looking for something where you barely move but can still call it exercise, Pilates is for you! But be prepared to contort your body into strange positions. The instructor told us that a doctor developed Pilates post-WWI to help wounded soldiers strengthen their backs and abs. That's the party line, anyway. I think the real reason Mr. Pilates developed the exercises was because he got a chuckle out of seeing people hold their legs up at weird angles or roll themselves into a ball and rock back and forth like helpless turtles flopped on their backs. He must've laughed SO hard... But they say laughter's the best medicine.

In Pilates, there's a lot of "tightening your abdomen just behind the belly button." Easy for me; I've been sucking in my gut since I was seven. Even when I was pregnant I pulled it in!

Proving my assertion that Mother Nature is REALLY pissed at us (as stated in one of my earlier posts), hurricane season began with a bang and looks to be pretty awful for the duration. My heart goes out to the people affected by the storms--and inundated with clueless news reporters looking for some high wind action. Every time I see one of those reporters out there in the storm, their expensive raingear flapping madly in the 120-mph winds, their perfect hairdos ruined, I find myself hoping a tree will fall on them. I'm not a blood-thirsty woman (well, okay, maybe a little), but it drives me nuts to flip on the news and see yet ANOTHER update from the storm. Yeah, we know it's windy, it's gonna be like that for a few more hours. It's also dangerous! How much do they pay these reporters to do a stand up in the middle of a hurricane? It's not enough.

And how many times can we see the clips of the surfers who just had to brave the storm to catch one of those perfect 80-foot waves. Maybe a shark will get one of them while they're on LIVE fulfilling most news producers fantasies--shark meets hurricane. If the surfer is a white, blonde, 19-year-old honor student, then the producer would probably keel over dead. But with a mega-high-ratings smile!

And finally, I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover it's Karl Rove who leaked the CIA agent's name to the press! Never would've seen that coming. I'm still waiting to find out who passed along that bogus memo about W's military service to Dan Rather--were his initials also KR? I thought Dan vowed to get to the bottom of it. Guess he got distracted by the hurricanes.

Janet -- No power in the 'verse can stop me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home