Monday, February 13, 2006

Random thoughts...

Some thoughts to keep me (and my constant readers) occupied while waiting word on the new round of submissions I sent out:

1. Is there a doctor in the house? Am I the only one who thinks the castaways on LOST should tie Dr. Jack up and stow him in the hatch for safe-keeping instead of letting him traipse all around the island, putting himself in danger? I mean, he's a DOCTOR; if I was a "Lostaway," I'd want my medicine man close by, just in case, and not rappeling off a cliff, or chasing The Others, or beating up on Sawyer, or any of the insane things he does in an effort to get himself killed.

2. Speaking of Lost... Is it just me or does it seem every single Lostaway had at least one tank top in their luggage? And that they are all so clean, pristine, and oh-so-form fitting? I know there's a washing machine in the hatch, but come on! And how does it explain Rousseau's relatively kempt tank top, which hasn't seen a rinse & spin cycle in 16 years? In the most recent episode, I also noticed the crazy French lady was wearing what looked like a Wonder Bra under her sweaty tank top. THAT makes me totally suspicious of Rousseau; if I were stuck on an island with nothing for company but an invisible polar bear and some weird black smoke, I'd have ditched the brassiere long ago.

3. Speaking of TV... I've been a faithful follower of 24 since the beginning. It's a convoluted, totally unbelievable thrill-ride of a show that excels at "upping the stakes." One unfortunate result of the constant "upping?" The show "jumps the shark" at least ONCE an episode. There was the time Jack Bauer got himself hooked on heroin to infiltrate a gang; the time Jack broke into a prison to break a terrorist out; the time Jack's daughter got her leg caught in an animal trap...then was stalked by a cougar for the remainder of the hour; and of course, the time Jack DIED (thank goodness the Criminal Terrorism Unit has good insurance and paid for the defibrillator that zapped him back to life!) These scenes are totally over the top but I guess are necessary to further the plot and/or to buy time for Jack and others to get from place A to place B in a reasonably believable space of time (by reasonable I mean, as if there were no other cars on the road in LA and if Jack never, ever had to take a leak once in 24 hours). So far this season, I haven't said, "Ha! Jump the shark moment!" once. There's still 18 hours to go--Jack may need that defibrillator yet!

4. It's official! School teachers have the "germiest" workspaces of all the professions. I'm shocked, shocked to hear that...not. I mean, one minute in the bathroom my two sons share and I've caught a cold, pneumonia, beri-beri, the Watusi, and hemorroids. Let's face it, kids are not clean. It was nature's way of weeding out the slobs before Purell invented instant hand sanitizer.

5. Oopsy! I have a feeling we're not hearing the whole story about the Vice President's accidental shooting of his hunting pal, in spite of the fact the news media have been on it 24/7. I'm guessing what's been left out: Cheney wasn't shooting at quail--he was shooting at Dan Quayle. Bad joke I know, and don't even try it on anyone under 25. My kids gave me a quizzical, I'm gonna give you germs look when I told them.

That's all for now! Janet - No power in the 'verse can stop me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home